What is Light
Light is one of the most important inventions done by the human beings. The electric light is a device that produces visible light from the electric current. It is very essential for the modern society as it provides the lighting inside the office, houses, building etc. It also provides light for evening and nightmare activities. The most common types of lights are incandescent lamps, gas-discharge lamps & LED lamps.
The latest technology trending in lights is LED. It is very useful technology because of its low power consumption, low heat generation, taking less than in on/off etc. The life of the LED is very long and it strongly depends upon the temperature of the diode.
LED light is one of the latest technologies trending in the world. It is one of the most energy efficient and rapidly developing technologies and it has the potential to change the future of lighting in India & across the world. In this technology, the tiny light bulbs are illuminated by the movement of the electrons in the semiconductor chip and this process is called electroluminescence.
Due to several advantages of this technology, it is used in several applications such as lighting, indicator in domestic appliances, automobiles, traffic signals etc. The usage of LED in the lights is very popular due to its several advantages over traditional lights.
What is LED
LED is an acronym of Light emitting diode. Light emitting diode is a semiconductor device that converts the electricity into the light. There are several materials used in the making of LED lights and the most common materials are gallium arsenide (GaAs), gallium phosphide (GaP), or gallium arsenide phosphide (GaAsP). As LED lights are made of different materials, they emit light in different colours depending upon the used material.
In order to produce white light from the LED, there are two ways i.e.
- A phosphor material is placed near the LED to emit the full spectrum white light.
- A system is used to mixes the light coming from 3 different monochromatic LED i.e. red, blue, and green to produce the white light.
Colour Rendering index (CRI) and colour appearance are the two key parameters in to order the measure the quality of LED light.
The colour appearance is also called correlated colour temperature. It measures the colour of light with the help of temperature. The range of the temperature lies between 2700~6000 K. If the temperature is near to 3000K, the colour would be warm or yellow. On the other hand, if it close to 6000K, then the light of the colour would be cool white.
The second parameter is CRI and it is used to measure of how well a light source renders colours. The scale of measuring CRI is 0~100. If the CRI of the light is more than 80, then it is widely acceptable in the industry.
Different Types of LED Lights
LED lights are coming in different shapes and colour according to the applications. There are several designs of LED lights such as flexible strips lights, cove lights, down lights, panel lights, track lights, in-ground & burial lights, bollard lights, street lights, flood lights, hi-bay lights, bulbs & tube lights etc. These different designs of lights are used in the decoration of both the interior of exterior of the buildings.
- Cove lights or strip lights are basically used for the ledges in the ceiling. These lights are basically used to highlight the ceiling and walls & it creates good ambience. It is available in different wattage & different colours.
- LED down lights, bulbs & tube-lights are primarily used in the indoor applications. These lights are coming in different specifications. Down-lights are coming in different shapes such as square and round and its wattage starts from 6 watt and goes maximum up to 40 watts. Bulbs are coming in different pin configurations such as B22, E27 & E14 and its wattage starts from 3 watt and its goes maximum up to 40 watts. LED in ground burial, underwater & bollard lights are primarily used for underwater lighting, swimming pool lighting, walkover lighting, facade lighting, decorative lighting etc.
- LED streets lights, bay lights & flood lights are used for industrial lighting, outdoor lighting and street lighting. <
All these lights are coming in different colours such as warm white, cool white & neutral white.
Advantages of LED Lights over Traditional Lights
There are several advantages of LED lights over traditional lights.
- The efficiency of LED lights is more than traditional lamps. It is emitting more lumens per watt than traditional lamps.
- There are several colours possible in LED lights i.e. cool white, warm white & neutral white.
- The life of LED light is very long as compare to traditional lights. The life of LED lights is approximately 35,000 ~ 50,000 hours.
- LED lights are very friendly to the environment as it does not contain any toxic materials.
- A very low voltage is required for the illumination of LED lights.
- LED lights are designed in such a manner so that it can be illuminated to a specific location only.
- LED lights are taking very less time in brighten up.
There are several brands offering LED lights in the markets. The most common brands that are offering LED lights are havells, Bajaj, Philips, Noble, Osram etc.
Applications of LED Lights
LED lights are used in several applications. It is used in indoor lighting, outdoor lighting, retail lighting, industrial lighting, steel lighting, residential lights & special light quality lighting.
- Industrial lighting is one of the most important aspect and application of LED lighting. As industrial unit are running 24 hours in a day, safety of the worker & creating the healthy environment is very important aspect for maintaining the productivity. Hence it requires durable, energy efficient & maintenance free lights. Bay & street lights are primarily used in the industrial unit.
- LED lights are also used for the outdoor applications as well. With the help of LED lights, the outdoor area such as water bodies, garden, trees etc. can be illuminated. Flood Lights, in ground burial lights, foot lights etc. are used for the illumination of outdoors areas.
- Retail lighting is one of the major sectors where led lights are used. Perfect Lighting in the store creates the good images of the store & providing good customer experience. Down lights, Tube-lights are primarily used for the decoration of retails stores.